Thursday, August 12, 2010

Signs Signs Everywhere Signs


I‘m one of those people who is always looking for a sign. That leads to two things. First, I wonder if I see signs everywhere. Second, I over-analyze to the point when I suspect none of them are really signs after all. Yes, I’m aware there is probably a DSM-IV diagnosis that fits, but let’s not go there.

I spend a lot of time and energy pondering the meaning and purpose of my life. Am I doing what I’m supposed to be doing in terms of vocation? Am I serving my highest purpose? All the while I’m parallel praying that I’m not! Thus, I seek THE SIGN. I just wish it would come in the form of certified mail to remove any risk of misinterpretation.

The other morning when I got to the office, I immediately noticed a teeny configuration of yellow eggs (at least I think they’re some kind of egg) in the shape of a fish on my window. What? See the attached photo for yourself. No? Squint a little bit. Ah, there it is, right? I figure this must be a sign, kind of like the spider web in “Charlotte’s Web,” or the Virgin Mary toast. But what does it mean? Is it a sign of rebirth (if they are in fact eggs)? Is it a spiritual omen (think Jesus fish)? Should I “swim” away from my desk? Am I destined to be a marine biologist? Actually, probably not that one given my phobia of green water.

I continue to search for potential fish significance, but I remind myself that while it’s fine to wait for new directions and adventures, it’s most important to actively participate in my present life – every single day. My world is filled with signs of abundance and love and I’m oh-so-grateful for them. In my search for ever-greater fulfillment and satisfaction, I must not forget to acknowledge and appreciate the great gifts I’ve already received.

In all honesty, I think I’ll always seek new directions, no matter what adventures unfold. I guess that’s not a bad thing. Whatever signs I get, whether via mailbox or window aquarium, I just want to be ready and aware, so I get it right. So far I’m not getting any strong vibes on what the fish means. I’ll keep you posted if anything shows up on my toast in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment