Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Let's get this party started

2010 – I like it. I like the roundness and evenness of it. I even like saying “twenty ten.” I take comfort in its tidiness and flow, but something about starting a new decade left me feeling a little bit at loose ends. Maybe the feeling had more to do with other things than it did with the beginning of a new decade, but, whatever, I felt the need to sort some things out, become more centered. Actually, I’ve felt that way pretty much my entire life, but for me that process often includes writing through things, fleshing them out. By getting things down I usually gain some insight.

Oh yeah, also we had computer issues which resulted in my losing every single manuscript I’ve ever written. There was that. . .

So it came to me, after stifling the urges at various moments to cry, vomit, or throw the freaking computer through the freaking window, that perhaps I needed to reframe a bit. Instead of looking at the erased files as a devastating loss, maybe I could view the incident as an opportunity for a fresh slate, a chance to begin anew. And, after all, what other choice did I really have? Thus, the idea to start a blog popped into my head.

Up to this point I haven’t been a big blogger, but I like the concept. I like to share thoughts and ideas. I like conversations with other women (and men) who offer insights and opinions that can enhance my perspective and expand my world view. I believe that we are all connected and that in our essence we are much more alike than we are different. That being said, I want to tap into that connection. It seems to me a blog is a great way to expand one’s reach without extensive travel or expending the kind of time and energy involved with huge amounts of individualized communications or correspondence. Think of this space as a sort of cyber coffee klatch. No, let’s make that a cyber happy hour. I think I like the feel of that a little better. There are no rules other than kindness prevails. I may blog twice a week or twice a month, but please know that your comments are wished for.

Whether you are seated in front of your computer with a cup of green tea or a glass of red wine, I hope you will take advantage of the opportunity to add to the conversation. As evidenced by the quote above, Emily Dickinson understood the importance of having a haven for free expression. It does our hearts good to pour words onto a page or into another’s ear. Please feel free to spoon in some of your own. Whether our current life conditions are sunny and fair or more like a tropical storm, our synergy can provide shelter enough for us all.

Stayed tuned for the next post to learn more about the name “fristerspeak”

Feel free to invite others who might enjoy the conversation

4 comments:

  1. One word - Carbonite. Has saved me countless times from the ravages of the technical world otherwise unexplained. It is automatic and keeps my stuff safe without any thought on my part, something I appreciate more and more the older I get!
    I too look forward to savoring the nuances of this new year and new decade, but true to my history, must wait until corporate books and taxes are complete. Perhaps procrastination will no longer be my nemesis in this new beginning! Looking forward to reading more of your musings....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to join you for a "happy hour." After being away from close friends and family for so long I have found this computer to be a savior to me in connecting me with the people I miss. Funny, we too had a major computer crash loosing a years worth of bookkeeping, birthday letters and cherished pictures. Oh well, what can you do but write more letters and take more pictures. The bookkeeping, well I fixed that too.

    Keep us posted!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you both are more techno-savvy than I am. Being preventative and proactive about maintaining things has never been one of my strengths. It sounds like Carbonite is something I should investigate further.

    It's great to hear from you. Jere' your attitude toward the loss is admirable. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, Sister! If I had lost my work I would have needed physical restraints to keep from destroying what wasn't nailed down! I commend your centeredness--is that a word??
    As a founding frister, I am looking forward to the ripple effect of the blog.

    ReplyDelete