Monday, April 14, 2014

Mini Rant

When did people stop knowing the difference between “loose” and “lose”? I’m not a grammar Nazi, even though I do tell the granddog to, “Go lie down,” and one of my top choices for my epitaph is “Her children knew the difference between your and you’re.” But lately I am astounded by how often people write about how difficult it is to “loose” someone dear, or how in their frustration they are about to “loose” it, or how they hope their kid’s team doesn’t “loose” their game.

Really? How does one get out of high school not knowing the difference between, and appropriate usage of, loose and lose? Forget high school, how about 6th grade? I’m thinking if I tell them all I’m about to loose the fury I feel about the misusage, they’re just going to think I’m over it.

(It’s taking all the restraint I can muster not to start on to and too, but that might keep me up all night.)

There are tons of things I’ve forgotten from English class. I’m about as likely to identify a diphthong as I am to wear the other kind, but these are very basic words we use (or misuse) EVERY SINGLE DAY! I’m convinced this is not an indication of lack of intelligence, but of lack of attention, so I’m doing my part to raise awareness. Some people do fundraising walks to help cure disease; I do free blogs to calm my unease. Rant over.

No comments:

Post a Comment